The whitening of teeth is not only done by experts in their facilities, it can also be done at home. There are several methods of whitening teeth at home. However, care should be taken not to erode the enamel. One should not overdo it or underdo the process since they may end up damaging their teeth and thus end up with the need for a professional touch which they may have avoided by engaging in the home whitening procedure.
The dos of home teeth whitening
- One should buy the whole complete kit. Just because one is doing it from home does not mean that they can just buy an incomplete whitening kit. All the components should be bought and used accordingly.
- One should seek guidance from their dentist so that they are familiar with the process even before they embark on it. They should know the steps to follow in order to achieve maximum results. They can also read very carefully on the packaging in order to follow the instructions to the latter.
- The person should also ensure that they mix the ingredients to the right proportions in order to achieve appropriate mixtures to use on the teeth.
- Before the process of home teeth whitening, one should ensure that their mouth is free from food particles. They can wash their mouth thoroughly using warm water. Strive to remove food particles in the mouth. This enables the bleach to work effectively.
The don’ts of home teeth whitening
- Don’t whiten teeth at home if an injury is felt on the gums. The injury may lead to an infection which may cause more problems than the small injury.
- Don’t go beyond your budget. In fact, when one does teeth whitening from home, the cost should come significantly down since the dentist fee is eliminated. One of the major reasons for doing it from home is to try as much as possible to cut down on costs. The only things that should be bought are the teeth whitening complete kit.
- Don’t mix a lot of bleach out of desperation. One may be desperate for good results therefore, they may end up putting more bleach with the intention of getting whiter teeth. This may end up corroding the enamel and result in cavities.
- Don’t brush your teeth just before the process. This is because the bleach may react with the toothpaste and may end up causing insensitivity on the teeth. Therefore if one brushes their teeth, they should wait for at least 30 minutes.
Don’t use any form of teeth whitener without the consent of the dentist. The dentist is able to advise accordingly according to the person’s type of teeth.